Building the Wikipedia Minangkabau community
- Building the Wikipedia Minangkabau community (Minangkabau community meetups)
- Faishal Wafiq Zakiy
- Ichsan Mochtar [email@example.com]
- The location of the events/meetups will mostly be held in the Padang City, West Sumatra.
- Meetup and socialize with community members
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing and new editors
1. What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- Minangkabau Wikipedia has been established since 2013, but the number of active editors is now almost non-existent. So, we want to build a community of editors at Andalas University in Padang, where the city is located in an area with a majority of Minangkabau language speakers. Already, there are two students of the university will be organizer for this activity. We hope to hold 10 face-to-face meetups in a year, where we will discuss the ideas of community activities, cooperation with the potential supporters, as well as socializing and editing together.
2. If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- Looking at the experiences of Javanese and Sundanese Wikipedias, which in the past faced circumstances that Minangkabau Wikipadia is having today, we see that regular meetings and activities can build the community and increase the number of active editors. Andalas University has more than 13.000 students with 15 faculties, so we will try to reach those faculties' students.
3. How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- We will invite people through networks of personal contacts, their emails, post notices on Minangkabau Village Pump, and update our Facebook group.
4. How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We will follow-up through emails, Facebook and WhatsApp groups.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The face-to-face meetups will be combined with online activities to promote the community and the philosophy of Wikipedia and Wikipedia Minangkabau. We will make use of the contact persons in Padang City and West Sumatra that were previously obtained during the Minangkabau Language Workshop in 2015, and to establish activities with their respective organizations to support our community.
- Besides having meetups, in the future we want to do edit-a-thons, if possible 1-2 times in a year. The edit-a-thons will be held at the time when new editors/community members have reached at least 10 people, perhaps in 2018.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please add specific targets (numbers) to the following measures of success and feel free to add more:
- Number of total new active editors: 10 people
- Number of meetups: 10 times (a regular meetups/edit-a-thons)
- Number of average edits by active editors: 5 edits per month (by the end of the year)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We currently have 2 persons in Padang and 1 person in Jakarta who are willing to be the initial core team to build the community.
- We plan to hold the meetups in Andalas University free spaces (laboratory, library, extra-curricular space) or in co-working spaces or cafes near by.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list each expense and include a total amount.
- Mostly, we need resources for food and beverage for our meetups. We expect on average about 10 people to come to each meetup.
|1.||Food & beverage||Rp. 50.000,-||x 10 people x 12 meetups||Rp. 6.000.000,-|
|2.||Transports for participants (if needed)||Rp. 25.000,-||x 10 people x 12 meetups||Rp. 3.000.000,-|
|3.||Banner||Rp. 400.000,-||x 1 unit||Rp. 400.000,-|
|4.||Flyers||Rp. 10.000,-||x 100 pieces||Rp. 1.000.000,-|
|5.||Contingency funds||Rp. 2.000.000,-|
|Total:||Rp. 12.400.000,- (+ US$ 870)|