MK-160: 160-Character Media Community
- The Angkringan Media Community is a media community that was founded in 2000. This organization serves as an information channel for villagers in Timbulharjo, Sewon District, Bantul Regency, Special Region of Yogyakarta. Its goal is community empowerment through information.
- Official status
- The Angkringan Media Community is an organization registered by notarial document in Yogyakarta with the legal status of association.
- Mohammed Amrun
- Project Leader
- Creating a new media community by optimizing the use of existing technology (short messaging service, or SMS).
- Accelerate the deployment or delivery of information to the community via SMS.
- A. Maximizing the use of SMS to exchange or convey more useful information for the community.
- B. Providing a management system for the exchange of information by using new technology for media communities.
- C. Assisting in the implementation of the program in other communities.
- D. Training communities in using and applying hardware, software and brainware.
- R. Creating a new information system channel for the use of information technology.
- F. Creating a database with information on community members, especially their mobile phone numbers.
A. Relation to Topic: Just and Equitable Access to Media
- In the middle of increasing conglomeration of the media, media communities are playing an important role in grassroots communities. Of the hundreds of media communities throughout Indonesia, most use print media, radio, and a few use television. Radio-based media is considered the most efficient as it is fast, cheap, and accessible to all. Communications and information technology that is cheap, fast, and personal continues to be enjoyed by society. As such, their media habits have begun changing, leading to media communities having to change. The quick exchange of information can be done using cellular phones. It is not surprising that the number of mobile phone users has increased dramatically. According to a recent survey, in Timbulharjo village there are more than 5,000 mobile phone users. This has led to traditional media being increasingly abandoned, as the information is conveyed more quickly via SMS.
- One cell phone capability that has not been used to its maximum capacity is the short messaging service, or SMS, which up until now has only been used for personal communications. However, with a little innovation, the information in those 160 characters could be used as a multifunctional platform to deliver information simply, cheaply, and quickly. The technology is ripe to be used by the media community.
B. Issues to be Addressed and Relation with Activities
- Community media is increasingly being abandoned as information and communication technology develops and media users' habits change. Radio programming, bulletins, television, and other mediums are slowly being abandoned by users as they are considered useless.
- The potential use of SMS technology to spread information has not been fully developed; it is mainly used to exchange information between individuals.
- The lack of speed in conveying information to community members.
C. Relation to Categories: Local Content, Partnerships, Creative Strategies, Action, and Appropriate Technology
- Mobilizing citizens of Timbulharjo Village, Sewon District, Bantul Regency, DIY (totaling more than 20.000) to know about and contribute to this project.
- Creating a system to guarantee the effectiveness of the project. This system will consist of a database for information on citizens, including cell phone numbers for easier reception and dissemination of information.
- This project will develop SMS - Media Community technology with the following functions:
- Broadcast information to community members
- Broadcast information to certain categories of community members (based on location, gender, age, profession, interests)
- Receive information from citizens, then spread it to others quickly.
- Integrate the software with the community database to allow access via SMS. For example, citizens requiring a blood transfusion could receive a text with a matching donor's name and address.
- Promotion of local businesses
D. Activities and Relation with Goals
- The following activities will be done:
- Train a team of administrators, which will further train other members in managing the project and activities.
- Village-level socialization, to ensure residents know about the program.
- Neighborhood-level socialization, going more in-depth to ensure that residents will better know and understand the planned activities. This will allow them to better use said activities.
- Socialize the program using posters, pamphlets, leaflets, and stickers spread to every house.
- Collate data on residents, including cell phone numbers.
- Input the data into the system.
- Create documentation, including photographs, modules, and books.
- The entire process will be documented and released in both text and audio/visual format. All results of the program, including the application, training material, and documentation will be released under a creative commons license and uploaded to the internet through angkringan.web.id, allowing it to be freely used. This program will facilitate at least 10 members of the Community Radio Network of Indonesia, which will be able to apply the program in their own communities.
- This opportunity will be further developed to ensure the continuance of media communities, specifically:
- As a medium for community information.
- As a phone credit provider for the community.
- As a medium for business promotion in the community.
- Cooperation with other groups for better public service.
- This project is also supported by several other groups, as follows:
- The Blangkon Linux Development Community
- Combine Resource Institution
- JRKI (Community Radio Network of Indonesia)
E. Background and Demographics of Project Staff
- Project Leader
- Male, with 12 years organizational experience. Six years experience with the media, especially community media.
- Project Staff
- Totaling 12 people. All involved in the project are members of the Angkringan Media Community.
F. Demographics of Target Group
- All citizens of Timbulharjo Village, Sewon District, Bantul Regency, DIY. This is because the Angkringan Media Community belongs to everyone in Timbulharjo.
G. Expected Results and Indicators of Success
- This program is hoped to be applied widely. It is exepected to benefit.
- Residents of the trial area (Timbulharjo Village, Sewon District, Bantul Regency, DIY)
- Ten radio communities in various areas that replicate this project.
- Other communities that replicate this project
- Indicators of Success:
- A free and open source application for SMS compilation and dissemination.
- Documentation of experiences during the execution of the project that can be studied and used by other communities in the creation of modules, tutorials, or guide books.
- Guidance (text and audio/visual) on how to use the media community SMS application..
- Guidance (text and audio/visual) on how to organize communities and collectively apply SMS technology.
- At least ten communities use SMS as their community media.
H. Relation with Media Improvement and Social Justice
- Citizens can freely become sources of information. This can be related to open public information. Residents of communities can also serve as reporters to spread information related to the needs of communities without causing further problems or ill-will.
- 18 months from December 2011 – May 2013.
J. Funds Required:
- Rp 150,000,000.00 (budget attached).